Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day of Vices

Sometimes, you just need your fix.

Grokette has got her cravings and they have nothing to do with deficiencies in her diet.  I mean the stuff that you'd swear you could consume everyday for a lifetime.

Dark chocolate, red wine, cheese, artichoke hearts, strawberries, smoked salmon, shellfish, sparkling water.

I'm not sure what this list says about me, but I know that without this list I would be a very, very lost soul.  Everything on this list makes me feel so good. 

A few years ago when I looked to a croissant with nutella as being a favourite indulgence, I blamed the fat for making me feel terrible in the minutes that followed my eating it.  It wasn't until I started eating like Grokette that I realized that going primal didn't feel as restrictive as clean eating -- and I was blaming the wrong guy.  Sorry, Mr. Fat, please forgive me.  So long as I was eating grains, I was going to get a craving for more shortly after.  But with primal eating, I'm so much more satisfied after my meal and I don't have to watch the clock for my next snack -- I just eat when I'm hungry.  Not every 2-3 hours like clean eating recommends.

Today, Grokette indulged.
  • She slept in;
  • she ordered a big salad covered in smoked salmon, onions, capers and a serving of grapefruit vinagrette for lunch from a neighbouring restaurant;
  • she had some 86% chocolate; and,
  • she enjoyed a glass of wine after a softball game.

When I look at this list, I'm so pumped!  Measured against the Primal Blueprint, you should get lots of sleep (Grokette napped all the time and slept in when her body needed some extra rest), salmon is atop the list of fish full of good omega fats, and dark chocolate and red wine is totally game for your health as they're full of antioxidants. 

I wish that Grok had encouraged me to go primal sooner.  I've never been so happy making my body a little stronger and healthier.  I get my fix all day long.

0 comments: