Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Primal Tip #1: Buy your meat first

I tend to get lost when I go to the grocery store.  I become over stimulated with everything going on around me.  So much to see, so many new things to try, so many labels to read... It drives Grok nuts. 

Going primal has helped quite a bit with this little fault.  Before I even enter the store, I already have my path laid out for me as I shop the perimeter, with a few exceptions (like my 86% chocolate, coconut milk and greek yogurt).  I no longer spend any time looking for grains or legumes like I did when I was eating clean (and I don't get the sugar shock that goes with them, either!).

What I have found helpful is to decide in advance how many meals I'm going shop for.  This translates into the number of packages of fresh meat that I buy.  One big package is enough for dinner and lunch the following day for Grok and I.  Once this is done, I fill the cart with veggies, fruit and nuts.  These are easy to grab and go and are versatile enough to make something more elaborate.  But without the meat, you don't really have a meal. 

And I love meals!  Much better than having to pack 5-6 small meals/snacks to eat every 2-3 hours like I used to.

Primal: +1
Clean Eating: 0

2 comments:

dan said...

This is the plan that I follow. I always buy my meat first in case anything is on special. Then base my veges etc around that.

Kristina said...

Ahhh, specials -- I guess that's a great way to get some variety since specials are at random. I was also thinking about how doing groceries for a few days as a opposed to shopping for the whole week. It makes it easier to plan since you never know what comes up.