Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An indulgent day; an indulgent workout

There is nothing that starts Grokette's day off better than getting out of the shower, and being presented with a cup of fresh coffee (FYI - Starbucks' Anniversary blend that they are promoting right now is REALLY good), and a plate of perfectly prepared bacon and eggs.  Grok, I adore you.

However, I starved the rest of the day.  That's okay since the occasional short fast is physiologically acceptable.  I'm sure that the real Grokette didn't always have a victorious hunt.

I left work at lunch to accommodate a very long afternoon appointment.  By 3:30, I was on my way home and all I could think about was my next meal.  I dashed into the neighbourhood grocery store and grabbed a roasted chicken (not the cleanest, but you know...) and a few other things, and dashed out.  When I got home, I dove into that chicken.  No fork, no knife - I just ripped those wings and legs apart. 

It wasn't very graceful and I certainly wouldn't do this in front of company, but it surely was satisfying!  I then followed-up with a piece of 86% chocolate.

I've had family in town for the past couple weeks, so this evening included a farewell dinner at Red Lobster.  My order?  Half a pound of Canadian snow crab legs and some broiled scallops, with a garden salad with blue cheese dressing.  Oh, and I had a glass of red wine too (Fetzer's red zinfandel...I highly recommend!).

Do I feel guilty?  Not at all.  Aside from the fact that I didn't prepare this food myself (and therefore can't confirm that my food was prepared cleanly) this meal is as close to primal as I will get when eating out at a restaurant.  I'm stuffed, and will admit that I ate too much but that just means that I'll do an intermittent fast for the next 12 to 15 hours. 

I do feel guilty for not moving too much today.  As soon as I publish this post, I'm going to hit the weights, which I'm learning to love.  Chalene Extreme is an exercise program focused on building muscle by lifting weights at a VERY slow pace.  You're not doing set after set of exercises - you're focused on lifting a heavy amout of weight for up to a max of twelve reps, and that's it.  In the past, I did another program affiliated with the Beachbody company but the workouts were too intense and long to fit into my lifestyle long-term (and this definitely wasn't primal as it encouraged chronic cardio).  I find that Chalene Extreme is great for me because I don't have to follow the plan -- but I can use one of the program's many workouts for whatever I'm in the mood for... This makes it pretty easy to want to workout.

Everyone has a preferred workout regimen.  I'm curious: What's yours?

1 comments:

dan said...

The supermarket roast chicken has saved me many times when I need a quick but fulling meal.